Mount Egmont/Mount Taranaki and Cape Egmont Lighthouse
Mount Egmont/Mount Taranaki is an active but quiescent volcano in the Taranaki region on the west coast of New Zealand’s North Island. It has two official names under the alternative names polity of the New Zealand Geographic Board.
Cape Egmont Lighthouse: Originally erected on Mana Island, it was moved to Cape Egmont in 1877.
Cape Egmont1865 (relocated to this site in 1881). Active; focal plane 33 m (109 ft); white flash every 8 s. 20 m (65 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is black. The original 1st order Fresnel lens, removed in 2000, is now displayed in a 2/3 replica of the lighthouse at Warea. Dave Young’s photo is at right, Mike Hollman has a fine 2009 photo, J.J. Brophy has a good photo, Mel Hodgkinson has another photo, Phillips has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The Taranaki volcano stands behind the lighthouse in the Hollman and Brophy photos. Prefabricated in England by McLean, Simpson and Co., the lighthouse was first constructed on Mana Island near Wellington, but its light was confused with that of the Pencarrow Head Light. The tower was relocated to Cape Egmont in 1877, but was not activated there until 1881. A sibling of the Tiritiri Matangi Light, the lighthouse marks the southwesternmost point of North Island and the northwestern entrance to Cook Strait. Located at the end of Cape Road near Pungarehu. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Maritime New Zealand. ARLHS NZL-007; Admiralty K4088; NGA 4788. -The Lighthouse Directory