Bass Performance Hall

 

Bass Performance Hall

Fort Worth, Texas

“Located in downtown’s Sundance Square, the hall features tow 48 four foot tall heralding angels carved in to the Texas limestone of its facade.  It seats 2,066 and is the permanent venue for the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, The Dallas Ballet, Fort Worth Opera and The Van Cliburn International Piano Competition.”

Capitol ~ Austin, Texas

Capitol ~ Austin, Texas

The city of Austin was named in honor of Stephen F Austin, who established the first Anglo-American colony in the Tejas province of Mexico.  The city of Austin was incorporated in 1839 and officially became the capitol of Texas in 1846

This is a shaped card.

Texas Bluebonnets

Texas Bluebonnets

The bluebonnet (Lupinus texenis) became the Texas state flower in 1901.  Part of the legume family, it blooms from March through May.

Previous copy – click here

Texas Cowboy

Texas Cowboy

This is my second copy – click here

Palo Duro Canyon State Park

Palo Duro Canyon State Park

Texas

The Canyon is 120 miles long, as much as 20 miles wide and has a maximum depth of 800 feet.

For more information on this beautiful place, click here

Texas – The Lone Star State – Map

Texas – The Lone Star State – Map

Port Aransas Lighthouse or Lydia Ann Channel Lighthouse

Port Aransas Lighthouse ~ Texas

aka    –     Lydia Ann Channel Lighthouse

The Aransas Pass Light Station:

Commissioned the the United States Light House Service in 1854 it guided ships through the nearby channel for the next 100 years.  The tower was darkened during the War Between the States when Confederate troops removed the lens and blew up the lantern room to prevent Union forces from using the station.  According to local story, the lens was buried nearby in the salt marsh.  After the war it could not be found and a replacement was installed in 1866.  The light was decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1954 and sold into private hands.  After 34 years of dormancy, a lens was found and Charles Butt, the third and current owner on July 4, 1988, relighted the tower.

1857 (Walter H. Stevens). Reactivated (inactive1952-1988; now privately maintained); focal plane 65 ft (20 m); continuous white light. 68 ft (21 m) octagonal red brick tower. Lantern painted white. The original 4th order Fresnel lens is on display at the Port Aransas Museum. The lighthouse is a sibling of the Sabine Pass (Louisiana) Light, but without the buttresses added to that lighthouse. The 1-story frame keeper’s quarters (1919) is occupied by resident keepers.  The light station was restored by its former owner Charles Butt, owner of the HEB grocery chain; it remains in private ownership. The keepers light the lens each night.

Previous Older Entries Next Newer Entries