Fire Island Lighthouse

Fire Island Lighthouse

1858 (station established 1826). Reactivated (inactive 1974-1986, now privately maintained); focal plane 180 ft (55 m); white flash every 7.5 s, day and night. 168 ft (51 m) round tapering cement-clad brick tower with lantern and gallery; rotating DCB-224 aerobeacon (1986). Tower painted with four bands, alternating black and white; lantern black. The original 1st order Fresnel lens (1858-1939), previously on display at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, is now displayed in a special building on site. 2-story stone keeper’s quarters. A 4th order Fresnel lens of uncertain origin is displayed at the visitor center. Foundations of the 1826 lighthouse (a 74 ft (22.5 m) stone octagonal) remain visible. Stone from that tower was used to build the terrace of the 1858 lighthouse. A photo is at right, Anderson has a good page, the National Park Service also has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has a sunset photo by Klaus Potschien, the preservation society has a slide show of photos by Art Noble, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a fine satellite view. This is the tallest New York lighthouse. Plans to demolish the lighthouse in 1981 led to the start of preservation efforts. In 2000, Congress appropriated $350,000 for structural repairs to the tower and improved exhibits. The Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society has worked for preservation and restoration of the lighthouse since 1982; the society leased the light station from the Coast Guard in 1996. In 2001, the Coast Guard agreed to return the 1st order Fresnel lens for display, and in early 2007 the crated lens arrived. FILPS developed a plan to exhibit it in a reconstructed powerhouse building, and in 2011 the restoration and reassembly of the lens was completed; the new building housing the lens was dedicated in July. An August 2011 photo of the lens is available. In 2005, the Coast Guard announced plans to replace the DCB-224 with a weaker solar-powered strobe light. FILPS protested this plan, and in February 2006 the Society signed an agreement to take over ownership and maintenace of the aerobeacons and their backup generators. Located at the west end of the Fire Island National Seashore in Saltaire. Accessible year-round by a walk of about one mile (1.6 km) from the Field 5 parking area at Robert Moses State Park; also accessible in season by passenger ferry from Bay Shore to Saltaire. Site open; visitor center and museum open daily (afternoons only during the winter); tower open to guided tours daily provided volunteer guides are available. Owner: U.S. National Park Service. Site manager: Fire Island National Seashore. ARLHS USA-286; Admiralty J1016; USCG 1-695. – The Lighthouse Directory

Advertisements

The Old House

“The Old House” at Cutchogue
Long Island, New York

the house was built in 1659 by John Budd at Southold.  In 1659 the house was moved to Cutchogue by Joshua Horton for the sum of 20 pounds “Boston Money”.  This is a view of the Living Room

From more information, click here

Summer Morning on Moose Pond

Summer Morning on Moose Pond

The Adirondacks

Photography by Michael Sandy

High Falls ~ Rochester, New York

High Falls, Genesee River

Rochester, New York

High Falls, located within Rochester’s Urban Cultural Park provides activities, resources and facilities that together offer a multi-faceted celebration of Rochester’s heritage

New York

New York

American Flag and the Statue of Liberty

Ste Marie de Gannentaha

Ste. Marie de Gannentaha

at Onondage Lake Park —- Liverpool, New York

Experience the sights and sounds of a 17th centruy French colonial settlement at Ste. Marie.  Costumed staff perform daily craft demonstrations as the exciting history of the original 1656 mission on Onondaga Lake is brought to life.

To read more about Ste Marie among the Iroquois – click here

Long Island Railroad Locomotive No 39

Long Island Railroad – Locomotive No. 39

One of the 121 G-5s Ten-Wheelers built by the Pennsylvania Railroad Juniata shops, LIRR No. 39, in service from 1929 to 1955, was displayed by the Museums at Stony Brook for over 20 years.  The non-profit Steam Locomotive 39 Preservation Fund,Inc, having been given the locomotive by the Museums, is restoring her for excursion service.  A portrait of No. 29 at Port Jefferson NY, on August 29, 1954, a little more than a year before total dieselization of the LIRR.

Previous Older Entries Next Newer Entries