Boston Light

USA - Massachusetts - Boston Light

Boston Light

 Boston (2)1783 (oldest U.S. light station, established 1716). Active; focal plane 102 ft (31 m); white flash every 10 s. 89 ft (27 m) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery (raised from 75 ft (23 m) in 1859), rotating 2nd order Fresnel lens (1859). Tower painted white, lantern black. Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s). Recently restored 2-story Victorian wood keeper’s house (1884), fog signal building (1876), oil house (1889), and other buildings. A photo is at right, Anderson has an excellent page for the lighthouse, Trabas has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has an aerial view. This light tower replaced the first U.S. lighthouse (1716), which was blown up by retreating British troops in 1776 (a 1719 fog cannon survives from the earlier light station). It is the second oldest U.S. lighthouse (after Sandy Hook, New Jersey) and it was the last U.S. lighthouse to be automated (1998). Power for the light now comes from a wind turbine in Hull. One of the most famous of all U.S. lighthouses, it is recognized as a National Historic Landmark. This is also the only light station still staffed–purely as a light station–by the Coast Guard, although a number of other lighthouses are located on the grounds of active Coast Guard stations. Historic Boston, Inc., and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management have sponsored restoration of the light station. Friends of the Boston Harbor Islands schedules boat tours to the lighthouse in season; check the Little Brewster Islandpage for details. Located on Little Brewster Island north of Hull. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower open to guided tours. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-073; Admiralty J0314; USCG 1-0425. -The Lighthouse Directory

Advertisements

Myrtle Street, Beacon Hill, Boston

USA - Massachusetts - Myrtle St, Beacon Hill, Boston

Myrtle Street, Beacon Hill, Boston

Reverend William Blaxton, Boston’s first resident, lived alone on Beacon Hill for 5 years before settlers arrived in 1622.  Prior to the American Revolution the area was primarily pasture land – the northern slope of the hill was home to John Hancock’s country estate.  The whale-oil beacon that used to warn settlers of foreign invasions is long gone, and today Beacon Hill is an affluent community of 10 thousand.

The Bedford Flag

USA - Massachusetts - Bedford Flag

The Bedford Flag

Lighthouses of the Cape and Islands

USA - Massachusetts - Lighthouses of the Cape

Lighthouses of the Cape and Islands

(apologies – there is no identification of the lights on the card)

New England Lighthouse Travel Poster Collection

USA - Z - New Englad Lighthouses

New England Lighthouse Travel Poster Collection
by Allen Claude

Portland Head Light – Maine
Cape Neddick ‘Nubble’ Light – Maine
Bast Harbor Head Light – Maine
Highland Cape Cod Light – Massachusetts
Rockland Breakwater Light – Maine
Edgartown Light – Massachusetts

Louisbourg Lighthouse

Canada - NS - Louisbourg Lighthouse

 

Louisbourg Lighthouse
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada

Louisbourg (4)1923 (station established 1734, although inactive 1758-1842). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 10 s. 17 m (55 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Historic lenses from the lighthouse are displayed at the Louisbourg Marine Museum in Louisbourg. Fog horn (blast every 20 s). Roy Tanaka’s photo appears at the top of this page, J.T. Frazer has posted a great photo, Illsley also has a fine photo, Jarvis has a photo, Anderson has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. This is Canada’s oldest light station, established by France during the period when Cape Breton Island (then called Île Royale) was a French colony. The original lighthouse was a round stone tower 16.5 m (54 ft) tall. Unfortunately it had a wooden lantern, which caught fire in September 1736 destroying the structure. A new stone tower, 17 m (56 ft) tall, replaced it in 1738. It was heavily damaged during the second British siege of Louisbourg during the Seven Years (“French and Indian”) War in 1758, and it was never repaired. The third lighthouse, built under British rule in 1842, burned in 1922. Foundations of both the 1738 and 1842 lighthouses have been stabilized and preserved. The Louisbourg Lighthouse Society works for preservation of the lighthouse. Located at the end of Havenside Road on the north side of the entrance to Louisbourg harbor. Parking provided. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-286; CCG 756; Admiralty H3344; NGA 9204. – The Lighthouse Directory

Canada - NS - Louisbourg Lighthouse - US stamps

Envelope and Stamp from Cape Cod, USA

Canada - NS - Louisbourg Lighthouse bck of envelope

Back of envelope – Highland Light, Cape Cod, Massachusetts

 Highland (Cape Cod) (3)1857 (station established 1797). Active; focal plane 183 ft (56 m); white flash every 5 s, day and night. 66 ft (20 m) round brick tower with lantern and gallery; VRB-25 aerobeacon. Tower painted white, lantern black. The 1st order Fresnel lens was largely destroyed during removal (1998); some pieces of it are on display at the museum on site. The original 1-1/2 story Queen Anne wood keeper’s house includes the museum and gift shop. A photo is at the top of this page, Anderson has a good page for the lighthouse with many photos, Trabas has a good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a good satellite view. This is a historic and famous lighthouse, almost always called Highland Light although officially it was renamed Cape Cod Light in 1976. The Truro Historical Society has worked steadfastly to restore and protect the light. The light station was relocated 450 feet (137 m) west in 1996 to escape erosion of the bluff. In 2001, Campbell Construction repainted the lighthouse, renovated iron work, and restored the interior of the lantern. Located in the Highlands area of Cape Cod National Seashore atop a high cliff at the end of Highland Road, off US 6 in North Truro. Site open; tower and museum open daily mid May through mid October (free; fee to climb the tower). Owner: U.S. National Park Service. Site manager: Cape Cod Highland Light. ARLHS USA-110; Admiralty J0390; USCG 1-0500. – The Lighthouse Directory

House of the Seven Gables and Hathaway House

USA - Massachusetts - House of the Seven Gables

 

House of the Seven Gables (1699)
Hathaway House (1683) (at left)

Turner Street, Salem, Massachusetts

USA - Massachusetts - House of the Seven Gables postcard header

USA - Massachusetts - House of the Seven Gables stamps

Previous Older Entries