Temporary Waterfalls in Acadia National Park
Sharing Mail Across the Globe…..
04 Jun 2013 Leave a comment
03 May 2013 Leave a comment
The Seals of Mount Desert Rock
1847 (Alexander Parris); station established 1830. Active; focal plane 75 ft (23 m); white flash every 15 s. 58 ft (17.5 m) round old-style granite tower (raised 10 ft (3 m) in 1857) with lantern and gallery; solar-powered VRB-25 aerobeacon (1993). Tower unpainted; lantern painted black. Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s) operates continuously. Replica lantern (1985). NOAA C-MAN automatic weather station. 1-1/2 story wood keeper’s quarters (1893). A photo is at right, Anderson has a goodpage for the lighthouse, Lighthouse Digest has information on the history of the light station and a feature article on the difficulties of life there, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Huelse has a historic postcard view, but the skerry is only a blur in Bing’s satellite view. A remarkable and historic site and one of the most isolated and exposed light stations of the U.S. Atlantic coast. The lighthouse is one of three waveswept towers designed by the architect Alexander Parris. The station was transferred to the College of the Atlantic in 1998 under the Maine Lights program. The keeper’s house is in use as an ecology research facility known as the Edward McC. Blair Marine Research Station. The college replaced the roof of the keeper’s house in 2000. In 2001, the generator house was expanded by the addition of a second floor; the first floor is now a marine lab and the second floor is a classroom. In August 2009, Hurricane Bill damaged several of the buildings and nearly destroyed the boathouse; the lighthouse was not damaged. The station is known especially for finback and humpback whale research. Located on a bare rocky island south of Frenchboro. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner: College of the Atlantic. Site manager: Island Research Center. This is the very first lighthouse in the USCG Light List, ARLHS USA-516; Admiralty J0048; USCG 1-0005. –The Lighthouse Directory
03 May 2013 1 Comment
New England Lighthouse Travel Poster Collection
by Allen Claude
Portland Head Light – Maine
Cape Neddick ‘Nubble’ Light – Maine
Bast Harbor Head Light – Maine
Highland Cape Cod Light – Massachusetts
Rockland Breakwater Light – Maine
Edgartown Light – Massachusetts
11 Jul 2012 Leave a comment
Two Lights – Cape Elizabeth, Portland, Maine
Antique Postcard Reprint
Cape Elizabeth EAST – 1874 (station established 1828). Active; focal plane 129 ft (39.5 m); 4 white flashes every 15 s (flashes separated by 2.5 s), day and night. 67 ft (20 m) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a square 1-story base; VRB-25 aerobeacon. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery painted black. Fog horn (2 blasts every 60 s). The original drum-style 2nd order Fresnel lens is on display at Cape Elizabeth Town Hall. The 2-story Victorian keeper’s house (1878), a private residence, was so drastically altered in 1999 that the Maritime Heritage Program lists the original building as “demolished.” Brick fog signal building (1886). The light station is adjacent to but not part of Two Lights State Park. This lighthouse appears in a famous painting (1929) by Edward Hopper. In 2000, the tower was leased by the American Lighthouse Foundation for preservation. In 2006, ALF announced plans for restoration of the concrete base of the lighthouse and of the oil house, and this project was completed in the fall of 2008. Located at the end of Two Lights Road off ME 77 in Cape Elizabeth. Site and tower closed (gated community), but good views are available from the adjoining state park. Tower owner/operator: U.S. Coast Guard, site manager: American Lighthouse Foundation. Other buildings private. ARLHS USA-113; Admiralty J0208; USCG 1-0060.
Cape Elizabeth WEST – 1874 (station established 1828). Inactive since 1924. 67 ft (20 m) round cast iron tower with gallery (twin of the east tower), painted white. The lantern was removed and replaced by a 12-sided observation room during World War II. The lighthouse was sold in 1959 and has been in private hands since. Anderson has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. The light station is adjacent to but not part of Two Lights State Park. Located 300 yards (275 m) west of the east tower. Site and tower closed (gated community), but distant views are available from the adjoining Two Lights State Park. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-115.
-From The Lighthouse Directory