Virupaksha Temple

India - Virupaksha Temple

Virupaksha Temple

India - Virupaksha Temple stamps

Infosys GEC, Mysore

India - Infosys GEC

 

Infosys GEC, Mysore, India
The Global Education Centre has been designed intirely on classical style of architecture with similarities to the colosseum of Rome, while the pillars are reflective of the Parliamnet House, new Dehli

India - Infosys GEC stamps

Sri Brihadeesarar Temple

India - Sri Brihadeesarar  Temple

Sri Brihadeesarar Temple
Thanjavur, India
Built by King Raja Raja Cholan in 985-1014 AD

For more information, click here

India - Sri Brihadeesarar Temple stamp Russia

sent from Russia

India - Sri Brihadeesarar Temple Eps back

Western Ghats or Sahyadri

India - Western Ghats

Western Ghats or Sahyadri
constitute a mountain range along the Westen side of India.  It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is one of the eight “hottest hotspots” of biological diversity in the world.

UNESCO listing is here

India - Western Ghats stamps

Map of India

India - Map Card

 

Map of India

India - Map Card stamps

Surathkal Point Lighthouse

India - Surathkal Pont Lighthouse

Surathkal Point Lighthouse

 Suratkal (Suratkal Point)1972. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 10 s. 36 m (118 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. 2-story keeper’s house adjacent or attached to the lighthouse. A photo is above right, another good photo is available, Wikimedia has a photo, P. Bachodi has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse functions as the landfall light for Mangalore; it stands by a very popular beach. Located off the beach about 8 km (5 mi) north of Suratkal and 18 km (11 mi) north of Mangalore. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-114; Admiralty F0660; NGA 27700. -The Lighthouse Directory

India - Surathkal Pont Lighthouse stamps

Minicoy Lighthouse

India - Minicoy Lighthouse

Minicoy Lighthouse

 Minicoy (Maliku)1885. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white flash every 15 s. 48 m (157 ft) round brick tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is red. The lighthouse is staffed. DGLL’s photo appears above. A photo appears above, Priya Sivaraman has another excellent closeup photo, another photo shows visitors on the gallery, Lighthouse Digest has a February 2001feature on the lighthouse by I.C.R. Prasad, Michel Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The Maldives government also has a page on the lighthouse with several photos. The island has great strategic importance, because the sea route from Suez to Singapore passes through the Eight Degree Channel just south of Minicoy. To protect this lifeline of the Empire, the British shipped bricks from England to build this great lighthouse in the tropics, designed by Sir James Douglass. Following India’s independence, the light station continued to be operated by Trinity House until April 1956, when it was assigned to DGLL; the title to the property was finally transferred to India in September 1963. The 50th anniversary of Indian control was celebrated in 2006. Located on the southwestern shore of the island. Site open, tower open by arrangement with the keepers. ARLHS LAK-009; Admiralty F0758; NGA 27468. – The Lighthouse Directory

Note: Minicoy, located well to the south of the other islands of the territory, has a distinct population and language and is geographically part of the Maldives archipelago. In fact it is claimed by Maldives, although it has been governed from India since the late 18th century. The name Minicoy, applied by the British, is an error; the islanders call their home Maliku. There is a resort on the island, with transportation and day tours available.

India - Minicoy Lighthouse stamps

Ramadevara Betta

India - Ramadevara Betta

Ramadevara Betta
India

Kannur Lighthouse

India - Kannur Lighthouse

Kannur Lighthouse

Cannanore (Kannur) (3)1976 (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 10 s. 23 m (75 ft) round concrete tower with gallery and a small lantern, painted red with one white horizontal band. Sanand Karunakaran’s photo is at right, Mohamed Salim has a good closeup photo, Sasheer Raj has a December 2007 photo, Wikimedia has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The first Cannanore lighthouses were at Fort St. Angelo, an early 16th century Portuguese fort. Lanterns were shown from the fort walls as early as 1843. A permanent light was mounted on a pedestal on the walls of the fort in 1903 and moved to a steel mast in 1939. The modern lighthouse is not at the fort, however. Located on a rocky promontory about 2 km (1.25 mi) northwest of the fort and of Kannur harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-079; Admiralty F0672; NGA 27668. -The Lighthouse Directory

India - Kannur Lighthouse stamps

India - Mahabalipurayhi Lighthouse

 

Mahabalipuram Lighthouse

 Mahabalipuram (Mamallapuram) (1) (temple)1887. Inactive since 1900. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square stone structure with gallery atop a monolithic stone temple (carved from a single rock), dating from around the start of the 8th century AD. A distant photo is available, and Forand has a historic postcard view. Fires were lit atop this temple for centuries as a guide to seamen, and in 1877 the British placed a lantern atop the temple for the same purpose. The lantern was removed long ago. Site and temple open daily; visitors can climb to the gallery level. _The Lighthouse Directory

 Mahabalipuram (Mamallapuram) (2) (lighthouse)1900 (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white flash every 10 s. 26 m (85 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery; unpainted; lantern dome painted red. 2nd order Fresnel lens in use. Benjamin Chun’s photo is at at the top of this page, a closeup photo is available, also a second photo, Wikimedia has a 2010 photo, Forand has a historic postcard view, Huelse has a closeup postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is probably the best known and most often visited lighthouse on India’s east coast. Built atop a large rock at Mahabalipuram, about 65 km (40 mi) south of Chennai. Site open, tower open daily 2-4 pm. ARLHS IND-016; Admiralty F0932; NGA 27108. – The Lighthouse Directory

India - Mahabalipurayhi Lighthouse stamps

Previous Older Entries