Belarus

Belarus - Monument

Belarus Stone

Belarus - Monument stamps

Advertisements

Three Princesses

Belarus - Vasnetsov Three Princesses

Three Princesses by Vasnetsov

Belarus - Vasnetsov Three Princesses stamps

Bachelor Buttons

Belarus - Bachelor Buttons

Belarus - Bachelor Buttons Envelopes

Belarus – Map of Forests

Belarus - Map Forests of

 

Belarus - Map Forests of stamps

Church of Sts Peter and Paul

Belarus - Church of Sts Peter and Paul

Church of Sts Peter and Paul
Minsk, Belarus

Belarus - Church of Sts Peter and Paul stamps

Reservation Museum of Culture and History

Belarus - Reservation Museum of Culture and History

Reservation Museum of Culture and History
Zaslawye, Belarus
Building of Children’s Museum of Forest and Mythology

Belarus - Reservation Museum of Culture and History stamps

St Augustine Light

USA - Florida - Anastasia Island Lighthouse

St Augustine Light – Florida
Anastasia Island Lighthouse

**** St. Augustine (2)1874 (Paul J. Pelz, architect). Station established 1823. Active; focal plane 161 ft (49 m); continuous white light with a more intense flash every 30 s. 165 ft (50 m) brick tower, painted in a black-and-white spiral similar to Cape Hatteras Light; lantern painted red; original rotating 1st order Fresnel lens. Sibling of Bodie Island, NC. 2-story brick and wood Victorian keeper’s house. Donna McCraw’s photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page for the lighthouse, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Trabas has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a great satellite view. This lighthouse replaced a 1737 Spanish watch tower that was converted to a lighthouse in 1823. Judging from a Coast Guard photo and Huelse’s postcard view, it appears this was done by adding a new section atop the original tower. The old tower collapsed due to beach erosion in 1880. The present light station has been meticulously restored to its 1888 appearance. Lighthouse Digest has an article on the restoration of the lens after it was damaged by a vandal in 1987. A new visitor center opened in October 2000; the tower was painted and the gallery restored by International Chimney. In May 2001 a lightning strike did $10,000 in damage to computers and electrical equipment at the tower. In 2002, the lighthouse was one of the first to be transferred under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act. In 2008-09, the exterior of the lantern was restored and its windows were replaced. Located on Lighthouse Ave. at Carver St., off FL A1A less than a mile southeast of the Lions Bridge in St. Augustine. During Hurricane Frances in 2004, museum operations director Rick Cain valiantly kept the light on. Site and tower open daily (admission fee). Owner/site manager: St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum. ARLHS USA-789; Admiralty J2866; USCG 3-0590. -The Lighthouse Directory

USA - Florida - Anastasia Island Lighthouse stamps BelarusSent from Belarus

Previous Older Entries Next Newer Entries