In the Middle of the Flowers ~ Nokkala

In the Middle of the Flowers

Raija Nokkala

Japanese Cranes

 

Japanese Cranes

Southern Coast of Taiwan

 

Southern Coast of Taiwan

Enchanting Dresden

Zauberhaftes Dresden ~ Enchanting Dresden

Dresden Castle, The Catholic Church of the Royal Court of Dresden, Opera House

Map of the Netherlands

Map of the Netherlands

Cat

Cat on a Stoop

from a Postcrosser in Finland

Pointe de la Coubre Lighthouse

 

Pointe de la Coubre Lighthouse

1905 (station established 1830). Active; focal plane 64 m (210 ft); two white flashes every 10 s; also at 42 m (138 ft) a continuous red or white light, depending on direction. 65 m (213 ft) round reinforced concrete tower, tapered at the base, with lantern and gallery; 1st order Fresnel lens. Gallery and upper third of the tower painted red, lower 2/3 white; the lantern dome is black. Sébastien Bertrand’s photo is at right, a good closeup photo is available, Trabas has a photo by Siering, French Wikipedia has a page for the station, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view showing the 1860 and 1895 lighthouses. This light station guards the entrance to the Gironde and serves along with the Cordouan light (see the Aquitaine page) as a landfall light for Bordeaux. The site is subject to rapid beach erosion. The 1830 lighthouse was abandoned in 1860 when it was about to fall in the sea; it was replaced by a square pyramidal skeletal tower that was regarded as a temporary light. In 1895 a 53 m (174 ft) stone tower was placed in service, but it was built much too close to the water and was quickly endangered. The present lighthouse was built 1.5 km (1 mi) from the shore and just in time; the 1895 lighthouse collapsed into the surf in May 1907. Forand has historic postcard views of the 1895 lighthouse just before and after its collapse, and of the 1905 lighthouse during its construction. A 1920 view shows the tower with a black vertical stripe. Erosion has brought the shore to less than 200 m (650 ft) of the present lighthouse, as seen in the aerial photos posted by Marinas.com. It may have to be moved, a project that would eclipse the famous 1999 relocation of the Cape Hatteras Light (see the North Carolina page). Located off the D25 coastal highway about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of La Palmyre. Site open, tower open for climbing. ARLHS FRA-133; Admiralty D1290; NGA 1476. -The Lighthosue Directory

Previous Older Entries