Old Cape Henry Lighthouse
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Old Cape Henry Lighthouse was the first lighthouse authorized by the first U S Congress. Build in 1791, it lighted the entrance of the Chesapeake Bay until 1881.
Owned by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities as deeded in 1930 by the Congress of the United States.
1792 (John McComb). Inactive since 1881. 90 ft (27.5 m) octagonal sandstone tower with lantern and gallery. Tower unpainted; lantern is silver-colored. This is the first lighthouse built by the Federal government and one of the best preserved lighthouses of the early Federal period. Recognized as a National Historic Landmark. The interior was restored in 2002. In 2003 the eroded sandstone foundation of the lighthouse was repaired. In August 2011, an earthquake created some cracks in the tower, but engineers determined they were not serious. Located on Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach, surrounded byFort Story, an active U.S. Army post.
It was replaced by the New Cape Henry Lighthouse very close by.