Port Aransas Lighthouse ~ Texas
aka - Lydia Ann Channel Lighthouse
The Aransas Pass Light Station:
Commissioned the the United States Light House Service in 1854 it guided ships through the nearby channel for the next 100 years. The tower was darkened during the War Between the States when Confederate troops removed the lens and blew up the lantern room to prevent Union forces from using the station. According to local story, the lens was buried nearby in the salt marsh. After the war it could not be found and a replacement was installed in 1866. The light was decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1954 and sold into private hands. After 34 years of dormancy, a lens was found and Charles Butt, the third and current owner on July 4, 1988, relighted the tower.
1857 (Walter H. Stevens). Reactivated (inactive1952-1988; now privately maintained); focal plane 65 ft (20 m); continuous white light. 68 ft (21 m) octagonal red brick tower. Lantern painted white. The original 4th order Fresnel lens is on display at the Port Aransas Museum. The lighthouse is a sibling of the Sabine Pass (Louisiana) Light, but without the buttresses added to that lighthouse. The 1-story frame keeper’s quarters (1919) is occupied by resident keepers. The light station was restored by its former owner Charles Butt, owner of the HEB grocery chain; it remains in private ownership. The keepers light the lens each night.