Charleston Light – Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina
“Housed in the 163=foot triangular Sullivan’s Island Lighthouse which was erected in 1962, Charleston Light can be seen 26 miles out to sea. The lighthouse is located on the oldest existent United States Coast Guard Station on the South Carolina coas with the dwelling, shown here, dating back to 1894. Also featured is the Ben Sawyer Bridge which connects Sullivan’s Island to Mt Pleasant.”
Charleston (Sullivan’s Island, New Charleston)1962. Active; focal plane 163 ft (50 m); two quick white flashes, separated by 5 s, every 30 s. 140 ft (43 m) aluminum (steel-framed) trapezoidal tower with overhanging lantern, top half black, lower half white; DCB-24 aerobeacon. The station has a historic coastal warning display tower. A photo by Henry de Saussure Copeland is at right, Mark Scott has a fine photo, Trabas has aphoto, Wikimedia has several photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, the Coast Guard has a 1962 photo of the new lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. This is the last lighthouse built by the federal government and the only U.S. lighthouse with an elevator and air conditioning. It was designed by a young architect named Jack Graham, who was serving in the Coast Guard to complete his required military service. In May 2008, the Coast Guard agreed to transfer ownership of the lighthouse to the National Park Service, which already owned the Sullivan’s Island Lifesaving Station next door. The formal transfer was made at a ceremony on November 8. The Park Service is organizing a friends group to support restoration of the building, and it hopes to open the tower eventually to the public. The 50th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in June 2012. Located on I’on Avenue off SC 703 in Sullivan’s Island. Site open (free), tower closed (the base is occasionally opened); group tours can be arranged. Owner: National Park Service. Site manager: Fort Sumter National Monument. ARLHS USA-825; Admiralty J2646; USCG 3-0195. – The Lighthouse Directory.
The Ben Sawyer Bridge is a swing bridge that connects the town of Mount Pleasant with Sullivan’s Island in South Carolina. The bridge swings on its central axis to open for boat traffic which is too tall to clear the bridge, and has an operator’s station in the center of the span from which an attendant can operate the bridge. The bridge was constructed in 1945,but its swing-span section was replaced in 2010, albeit retaining the same general appearance.
For more information about the bridge, click here